Cheese, Caramel, Apple & Walnut Tartlet
CHEESE, CARAMEL APPLE & WALNUT TARTLET
Sweet apples and caramel are combined with salty, sharp cheddar cheese in this show stopping tart.
"Most Aussome Recipe Contest" Winner Hidemi W.
- 4 cups Chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons Honey
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil melted
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 small McIntosh apples washed
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons Water
- 1 and 1/4 cups Milk
- 1 package 7 oz. Old Croc Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon White miso paste
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- Butter and flour 8 tartlet pans (4-inch in diameter each). Shred or grate the cheese into small pieces (easier and faster to melt)
- Make crust. Put walnuts, honey, coconut oil and salt into a blender or food processor. Process until walnuts are crushed and all ingredients are blended well. Divide the mixture into eight equally, place into tartlet pans and press the mixture into bottom and up the sides of the pans with hands and fingertips. Place pans on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes or until the crusts are nicely browned. Let cool on a rack.
- Make filling. Core and dice apples small. In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples to the skillet and cook stirring occasionally until apples are softened. Take the apples out of the skillet with a slotted spoon and put into a plate. Add brown sugar and water to the skillet. Stir to dissolve brown sugar over medium heat. Add milk, cheese, miso and vanilla to the skillet. Stir constantly until miso and cheese are dissolved. When the mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low and cook stirring frequently until the mixture is reduced by almost half and slightly thickened.
- Put the apples and raisins into the skillet. Simmer stirring occasionally for 7-8 minutes until the mixture is almost thickened like cream sauce, not too thick.
- When the crusts have been cooled enough to handle, remove the crust from each pan and put them on a work surface or cutting board. With a slotted spoon, put the filling into each crust equally. Pour the cheese caramel sauce remaining in the skillet over the top and put tartlets on a baking sheet. Bake the tartlet in 350 degrees F oven for 5-6 minutes.