Old Croc Stadium Cheddar & Sausage Soup
Stadium Cheddar and Sausage Soup
This creamy cheddar and sausage soup is hearty and comforting for game day. Serve with crusty bread or bagel crisps.
- 1 pound ground sweet sausage
- 1 large red pepper chopped finely
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 tbsp seeded jalapenos chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 12 oz bottle of beer lager
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth low sodium
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 7 oz Old Croc Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 4 oz Old Croc Smoked Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1/3 cup green onion finely chopped
- salt pepper and hot sauce to taste
In a dutch oven on the stovetop brown the sausage over medium heat until sausage is slightly crisp, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
Add the garlic to the leftover fat in the dutch oven and soften the peppers and onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes (do not brown).
- With a wooden spoon deglaze the dutch oven with 6 oz. of the beer, reduce by half then add all the chicken broth and simmer for a few minutes.
Melt the butter in a small skillet on medium heat, then add the flour a little at a time until it turns a thick golden brown roux.
Add the roux to the soup whisking continually to thicken the mixture for about 7 minutes.
Slowly add the heavy cream, all the cheese a little at a time and the remaining beer, whisking constantly.
Mix in the crispy sausage, salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste, and top with a little green onion in each bowl.
Enjoy with bagel chips!