Le ‘Croc’ Madame
Le 'Croc' Madame
Smoky ham and our creamy Sharp Cheddar Cheese sauce really pack this egg and cheese sandwich with big bold flavor.
- 8 slices Hawaiian bread or brioche, crusts removed
- ½ stick 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup 2% or whole milk
- 7 oz shredded Old Croc Extra Sharp Cheddar divided
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp white ground pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt or more if desired
- 8 oz sliced smoked ham
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp pure olive oil
- 1/4 tsp smoked or sweet paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place bread slices over a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan; add flour and whisk for 1 minute (do not let flour brown); slowly add milk whisking continually till creamy; add 1 cup shredded Old Croc cheese, nutmeg, pepper and salt; stir till well-combined; set aside.
- In a heavy oven proof skillet (or cast iron skillet) melt 1 Tbsp butter; place 4 slices toasted bread over butter; top each bread slice with 1 Tbsp cheese sauce; 2 oz ham, 1/4 cup Old Croc shredded cheese, 1 Tbsp cheese sauce; top with remaining toasted bread slices; spread remaining cheese sauce evenly among bread tops; bake for 5-10 min or till slightly golden and bubbly.
Meanwhile, fry eggs in remaining butter and oil; place one egg over each baked sandwich; season with salt if desired; sprinkle with smoked paprika. Enjoy!