Smoked & Sharp Cheddar Mini Pepper Appetizers
Smoked & Sharp Mini Pepper Appetizers
Barbara E's recipe from our Most Aussome Recipe Contest combines the flavors of smoky and sharp to these tasty pepper apps.
- 3/4 cup shredded Old Croc smoked cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Old Croc extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 pound ground fresh mild Italian sausage*
- 1/3 cup thick and chunky mild or medium black bean and corn salsa
- 7 multi-colored mini-bell peppers or a mix of mini-bell peppers and small jalapeno peppers
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper seeds and membrane removed
- 1/4 cup coarse crushed lime flavor tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix both cheeses together in a bowl; set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned and crumbly. Remove from heat and spoon out any excess fat. Stir in salsa and set skillet aside.
- Stir sour cream and minced jalapeno pepper together. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cut each pepper lengthwise in half and remove seeds and membrane. Place on an edged baking sheet cut side up and bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and fill each pepper with a mounded teaspoon Old Croc cheddar cheeses, top with equal portions of sausage mixture and top with remaining cheese. Return to oven and bake 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer peppers to a serving plate and top each with a small dollop of sour cream mixture and sprinkle each with crushed tortilla chips. Serve warm or cold.
For a spicy meat, you can use ground chorizo.